Character translation in GtkText

Hello,

I need to display international characters such as diaresis (umlaut) u in a
GtkText widget. However, GtkText seems to translate these characters as a
function of internationalization. I'm wondering how to turn off this
internationalization so that these characters are displayed properly.

Any help is appreciated.

m.

--
"How wonderful! How mysterious                                   Programmer
 I carry wood! I draw water!"                   Loki Entertainment Software