Re: [gtk-list] Re: Run Time Error

OK, this is actually quite simple:
     libxxx.a            a static library
     libxxx.so      a shared library (Windows people know this as a DLL)

When you link a static executable, you use the *.a library. When
you link a dynamic exectuable (preferred as it's much smaller)
you use the *.so file which is then loaded by the linker at program
startup time. If you have an executable, you can say
     ldd <my_program>
and it will tell you what shared libraries it will load upon startup. You
can
even 'observe' this happening in the log file generated by
     strace -o logfile <my_program>
if it's a dynamic executable ...

To answer your question: There's no set order/method in which
libraries are used; it depends on the way you built/linked your
executable ...

Hope this helps
--> Robert

Wenhao Meng <wenhao_meng@hotmail.com> on 07/06/99 04:59:33 PM