GDK / Xlib query

Hi all..

      I'm trying to do something I thought would be reasonably simple -
namely opening a window and putting an image in it. I thought I'd let GDK
handle SHM for me so I used that rather than directly using Xlib.

     Anyways, the problem I'm having is that I create a GdkWindow etc and
all is fine, I use gdk_draw_image to display a GdkImage and surround
gdk_draw_image with lots of gdk_flush()'s etc and my image is displayed but
ONLY if it is larger than say 800x600.

     I've now just written pretty much the same program but using Xlib
directly (and no SHM) and get exactly the same problem! Anyone have any
ideas about what the hell I'm doing wrong?

     I've uploaded my little test-program to http://stu.magd.cam.ac.uk/1.c
rather than sending it to everyone on the list. Perhaps someone could tell
me where I'm doing something completely stupid!

Thanks in advance...

   Chris Wilson
   cdw22@cam.ac.uk