Re: drawing area size

Alexander Kotelnikov <sacha@AK2614.spb.edu> writes:

> It's a question to GTK developers -- what is the maximum size of
> gtk_drawing_area -- when I set it to 5000x5000 I get a very big core :)
> and warning:
>
> Gdk-ERROR **: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
>   serial 87 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0
>
> aborting...
> IOT trap/Abort (core dumped)

I think you are misinterpreting what is causing the core.
Creating a drawing area of size 5000x5000 should cause
no trouble.

However, I'm guessing your program also tries to create
a pixmap of that size, forcing the server to allocate
something like 50M of data. (Depending on your colordepth)

X fails to allocate that much memory and returns a
BadAlloc error.

To find out exactly what is causing the error, you could
run the program under a debugger with the --sync option.

Regards,
                                        Owen