Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK++ proposal

On 01/26/99 Bill Huey uttered the following other thing:

> > I generally disagree with moving to C++. I for one would no longer
> > contribute to GTK+ if it moved to C++. I see no good reasons in your
> > 'argument' for doing so.
>
> A strong counter example is how high quality the BeOS GUI kit is
> with each window being encapsulated in a single thread and easily
> modifyable by simply deriving the Parent class of a window view.

Ah, but you've skipped the major problem the BeOS has because it is
based on C++ libraries: the fragile base class problem.  There is no way
to add class data or methods to existing classes without breaking binary
compatibility or (as BeOS does) making a hack of adding extra space in
your classes to allow for further expansion.

Brandon
--
 Brandon Long           "There are no things that man was not meant to know.
 MD6 Crash Test Dummy    There are, perhaps, some things man is too dumb