How does GTK position windows?

This should be a simple question.  I am trying to get started with GTK
programming.  I compiled the helloworld example, however I can't seem
to figure out how it decides to position the window.  It seems like
the window manager is picking the location to display the window which
is usually one of the corners of the screen.  This is rather annoying
so I put in a call to the following:

 gtk_widget_set_uposition(window, 100, 50);

This doesn't seem to do anything.  Is this the proper call?  Is there
a way to have a window positioned in
a specific location irrespective of the window manager?

BTW, running the Gimp exhibits the same behavior.

Thanks for your response.

Please kindly cc me at yohamed@yahoo.com if possible.

-Moe