Capturing stdin and stdout in gtk/gdk

I have a problem with the use of GDK/GTK, bascially Im spawning a child
process and attempting to capture it's stdin and stdout into the GTK
application (using a socketpair not pipes - thanks to Jan Kratochvil for
the heads up).

Sounds simple, but it doesn't work perfectly; for shell scripts there are
no problems, but for any binary it doesn't capture correctly.

I have example source (28K tarball) to look at:
	http://www.uq.net.au/~zzcprows/development/
I'd appreciate any help in the matter (extra notes are in the README).

  Cosmic - cosmic@uq.net.au
           http://www.uq.net.au/~zzcprows/
           (PGP public key and ICQ number available)