batch image processing

Hi, I am new to this list, so the qestion may be a bit navie, I am using
linux and have a bunch of files that I want to perform certain actions on
them e.g. gaussian blur followed by shearing etc ... does anyone know how
to do it? if not can someone point me to the appropriate software that I
can download from the web? thanks!