glib vs X vs other libraries

Hi all after successfully installing glib 1.1.19 on a Slackware box
running X 3.2.? followed by gtk and other stuff, I decided to look again
at why I can't get it to compile on my desktop at home.
differences I have include
kernel 2.2.1
X version 3.3.3
pgcc-1.1-linux86
make 3.77

both run libc5
both spewed initially on Posix threads.
configuring with disable-threads works on both
the x3.3.3 box gives me poll errors on make.
My questions include.
Does anyone else run x 3.3.3 with a working glib above 1.1.8??
Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
Does anyone know a simple way around it? :)
TIA
gb