Re: What ports of gdk/gtk? (GGI anybody?)

S> Huh? I thought that gtk/gnome didnt use X directly, but only
S> through gdk which is a thin wrapper over X. My understanding is
S> that if gdk were ported then you get gtk/gnome for free!

What  Scott meant was that gdk and gtk depend on a windowing system,
which is more than a framebuffer.  It needs something to act as a
window manager, for example, and it uses windows to handle input to
specific widgets.

It doesn't seem, to me, that GGI provides any sort of windowing
system, just a nice way to access the screen (upon which you could put
windowing systems like X).  So, if you wanted to port gdk directly to
libggi, you'd have to incorporate a whole windowing system into gdk.
That would suck.

Does anyone know more about GGI and can tell us if it provides the
kinds of things gdk needs?

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - By consent of the corrupted
You look like a million dollars.  All green and wrinkled.