Re: [gtk-list] Re: What ports of gdk/gtk? (GGI anybody?)

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Stephen Kennedy wrote:

> Huh? I thought that gtk/gnome didnt use X directly, but only through
> gdk which is a thin wrapper over X. My understanding is that if gdk
> were ported then you get gtk/gnome for free!

That's true but Gdk must be ported to a window system, such as X or
Windows (it's been ported to both of those). AFAIK GGI is just a way to
draw on the screen, not a window system. Thus you would have a *lot* of
work ahead of you to do the port.

X uses a reasonable amount of memory, unless you have a bunch of pixmaps
and other resources allocated.  Those blow up the size of the X server.
But they would also blow up a GGI windows server; the portions of X you
"don't need" (network transparency, pretty much) are not very big.

Havoc