trying to install glib & gtk !

Hello again,
I have Redhat 5.2, kernel 2.036 running with zip drive attached and a
Gnome desktop.

I have downloaded new Gtk & Glib files.
Tried to install Glib-1.1.15
did a ./configure, make & make install  no error messages
I then tried to ./configure for Gtk and I get the message

could not run Glib test program, checkinbg why .....
The test program failed to compile or link. see config.log for the exact
error that occured. This usually means Glib was incorrectly installed or
that you have moved glib since it was installed. In the latter case, you
may want to edit the glib-config script /usr/binglib-config.
configure error
Glib-1.1.15 or better is required.

what does this mean I thought glib was installed ok no errors, I have
tried the ldconfig command after installing glib, do I need a upgrade
glib & gtk instead of new version as i have gnome installed and running
?

This is all a bit baffling, I thought it would be simple.
Thanks for any help.
Please help,
Spike.