Re: [gtk-list] Child windows and Separator appearance

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Derek Simkowiak wrote:
> 	First, are the following two questions better suited for the
> gtk-list, or for gtk-app-devel list?  They are questions about using GTK
> to write an application, but would gtk-list be more appropriate?  My
> apologies for the annoyance of sending it to both lists (initially).

I randomly picked one for you. :-)

> 	Second, regarding the GtkSeparator: I want to make a rectangular
> area appear "raised", and then put some buttons/etc. into that "raised"

Use GtkFrame instead. Set the shadow style to get raised or groove.

> window by the titlebar, and drags it so that the child window is not fully
> displayed (i.e., hidden by the edges of the main application window), a
> scrollbar appears.  This should basically work the way MS Program Manager
> did with "Application Group" windows under MS Windows 3.1.  Furthermore,
> if a user minimizes (or is it, "iconizes") a child window, that icon
> should appear in the bottom left of my main app window, NOT the user's
> desktop.

It is impossible to do this, because window managers will not understand
what's going on. You could write a custom widget, basically your own
little window manager inside your window. But it would be a *lot* of work,
and your "internal" windows' decorations would not match the WM
decorations. (FWIW, StarOffice does this...)

Gnome comes with a "GnomeMDI" which is slightly different from a Windows
MDI like you're describing, but has much the same effect. It might work
for you.

Havoc