Child windows and Separator appearance

   Hello,
	I have three questions about GTK:

	First, are the following two questions better suited for the
gtk-list, or for gtk-app-devel list?  They are questions about using GTK
to write an application, but would gtk-list be more appropriate?  My
apologies for the annoyance of sending it to both lists (initially).

	Second, regarding the GtkSeparator: I want to make a rectangular
area appear "raised", and then put some buttons/etc. into that "raised"
area.  I assume the best way to do that would be to use a GtkSeparator
around the rectangular area in question; however, I am unable to find a
function which would let me make the separator line/shadow appear
"raised". Instead, it appears only as a "groove".  Any suggestions?

	Third, I want my application to have child windows *which cannot
be moved outside the bounds of the main application window*.  The windows
should have window manager decorations on them, but if a user drags the
window by the titlebar, and drags it so that the child window is not fully
displayed (i.e., hidden by the edges of the main application window), a
scrollbar appears.  This should basically work the way MS Program Manager
did with "Application Group" windows under MS Windows 3.1.  Furthermore,
if a user minimizes (or is it, "iconizes") a child window, that icon
should appear in the bottom left of my main app window, NOT the user's
desktop.

	Should I use Dialog windows?  Or should even the child windows be
of the type GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL?  My main app window will have four areas
from top to bottom: a menubar, a small area on the top that provides
information (similar to a toolbar), the 'desktop' area which comprises
most of the space of the main app window, and the statusbar on the very
bottom.  The child windows are to be displayed in the 'desktop' area.

|*     window mgr-created titlebar    .oO |
|          Various status info            |
|      Main 'desktop'-like area           |
|     Child windows would not go outside  |
|                       this area....     |
|          Statusbar widget               |

	Should I make the 'desktop' area of my main application window be
a scrolled window widget?  Then how do I make my new windows (1) appear in
that space, and (2) Not exceed that space?

	I am using GTK+ version 1.0 (Redhat packages gtk+-1.0.6-3
and gtk+-devel-1.0.6-3) and would strongly prefer NOT upgrading.

	Note that I am cloning a MS-Windows application, and thus did not
choose this design...

Thank You,
Derek Simkowiak
dereks@kd-dev.com