trying to install glib & gtk

Please help,
I'm new to this linux, but learning fast !
I'm trying to install Gedit, I downloaded the file and tried to install
but it askeds for Gtk, I downloaded and tried to install Gtk and it
asked for glib !
 I downloaded Glib-1.1.15 and ./configure, make & make install fine. I
think.
 I then tried to install Gtk-1.1.15 ./configure complained that either
glib was not installed, or the path needs to be checked !
My aim is to install, file manager, and zip program from www.gnome.org
I'm running redhat 5.2, kernel 2.0.36, I have gnome desktop installed
and running, but am trying to enhance it more.
I have extracted other programs no problem.
Please help.
Spike
P.S. if i'm on the wrong list please direct me to the correct place many
thanks