Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK not working remotely

>Richard Mitchell wrote:
>>
>> > From your error message, it kind of looks like the app is requesting a
>> > font which doesn't exist on the remote server.  What remote server are
>> > you using?  You might consider setting your linux box up as a font
>> > server to avoid this problem.
>> Ah-ha, OK how do I set up the Linux box as a font server then, if this
>> isn't deviating from the topic too much.
>
>Do a 'man xfs', and scrounge around in your startup files to see if it
>is already started. (usually '/usr/bin/X11/xfs &' as root will start it
>if it isn't already)
>
>On your remote terminal (in an xterm), try typing
>
>	xset +fp tcp/my.linux.box.com:7100
>
>(replacing my.linux.box.com with the name of the xfont server)
>Note that not all X-terminals will handle a font server (the free
>tntlite mixserver being one of those)

There's also other, niftier things you can do with font servers. I use one
called xfstt that contains a TrueType font renderer; this allows me seamless
access to all my old Windows fonts. You can use multiple font servers, if you
like, so you can have several special-purpose servers, or have a centralised
server for exotic fonts:

	xset +fp unix/:7100,tcp/fontserver.akkhtimakkha.net:7100,/usr/X11R6/lib

(If you run a font server on the same machine as the X server, you really do
want to use a Unix domain socket rather than a TCP one. It'll speed things up
no end.)

--
+- David Given ---------------McQ-+
+- http://wired.st-and.ac.uk/~dg -+