Re: [gtk-list] events and/or imlib

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 raster@redhat.com wrote:

> no - blame yourself. :)

hehe, that was going to be my third option...

> 1. gdk_imlib_apply_image() scales the image tothe CURRENT windows' size
> and sets it as the bgpixmap and if shaped sets the windows shape to the
> image.

Yes, I know that. But I figured that when I did a gtk_widget_set_usize(),
the window would change size and everything would be fine straight away. I
found out from an earlier posting that this was wrong, and that I had to
wait until the configure_event happened, then i could draw. But it seems I
have misunderstood that as well...

> 2. you dont need to handle expose events using this method.

You mean I can optimise by just drawing in the region of the expose
instead of the entire image every time? I'm going to change that, but I
won't bother with optimizations before I get things working.
Or was there something else you were referring to?

> 3. you need to have flags to not apply the image untilt he widnow has
> finalyl been sized to the corretc sieze you need/want by gtk- it will
> not start at the size you want until its packed and realized.

How do I know when this has happened? You'll have to excuse my ignorance,
but the docs aren't very extensive on the subject (not that I can remember
anyway). I know there is a function called gtk_widget_realize(), but I
don't have a clue what it does. Is this something I should figure out?
This may be my lack of experience with X speaking, but i think it
is a little strange that when the configure_event happens, the window's
size is not set... I thought that was the point with this event.

> so basically you have to be more careful :)

I'll try :)

But the expose_event and configure_event are obviously not working exactly
the way I thought they would... Where (if anywhere) can I find info on
these things?

Ketil Froyn
--
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~ketilf/
mailto:ketilf@ifi.uio.no