Re: restarting gtk_main()

Jens Askengren <dat98jas@ludat.lth.se> writes:

> I am curently developing a GTK+ replacement for xdm.

First, have you looked at gdm? It is GTK+ replacement
for xdm which is pretty much complete and functional.

(It is on the GNOME CVS server, and you can find tarballs
 in ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/)

>  One of the main
> features will be a possibility to restart the X-server in a different
> resolution when loging in. However, for this to work I have to enter and
> exit the gtk_main()-routine each time somone logs in. After a gtk restart,
> some widgets does not get updated properly.

It isn't possible to have the same GTK+ program disconnect
from an X server and reconnect to a different X server,
if that is what you are trying to do.

I believe what gdm does is separate itself into two
processes - gdm, the daemon, and gdm-greeter, a GTK+
program which handles the user interface.

This also should help make the program secure, by removing
complexity from the portions that need to run as
root.

[...]

> Do I have to explicit destroy each widget, or is it sufficient to destroy
> the toplevel window before calling gtk_main_quit()?

Destroying the toplevel window will destroy all children.
It won't, however, disconnect you from the X display.

Regards,
                                        Owen