restarting gtk_main()

I am curently developing a GTK+ replacement for xdm. One of the main
features will be a possibility to restart the X-server in a different
resolution when loging in. However, for this to work I have to enter and
exit the gtk_main()-routine each time somone logs in. After a gtk restart,
some widgets does not get updated properly.

This is what I do:

----BEGIN PSEUDO CODE----

gtk_setlocale(..
gtk_init(...

<create the loginwindow with its childwidgets>

gtk_main();

<when somone logs in, gtk_main_quit() is called, and we return here>

----END SPEUDO CODE----

Do I have to explicit destroy each widget, or is it sufficient to destroy
the toplevel window before calling gtk_main_quit()?

Thanks in advance.

Jens