Re: [gtk-list] Newbie Install Question

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Michael Vanecek wrote:

> Real basic - please have patience - I'm really not as dumb as some of
> these questions may sound...
>
> I just loaded up RH 5.2, and am interested in loading GNOME. In their
> instructions, they recommended I install gtk+-10 and glib-10 to maintain
> my gtk 1.0 programs while gtk 1.1 got installed.

You can have both GTKs stable (1.0.*) and dev (1.1.*) gtk-1.0.* comes
along with redhat, install the dev gtk on a different path

> Are gtk+-10/glib-10 supposed to 'upgrade' the current gtk/glib 1.0 libs
> or be installed in addition to the current libs?

gtk and glib are build togheter, if you install glib-1.1.15 you'll need
the same version of gtk. The division between stable and dev, follows the
idea adopted by the kernel, but most applications like gnome (lastest
versions) need gtk >= 1.1.12.

> Depending on the answer to that, are the GTK 1.1 and GLIB 1.1 libs
> supposed to be installed straight, or by using the upgrade feature to
> upgrade 1.0 to 1.1 (hence the need for gtk+-10/glib-10 libraries)?

Again, you can have both GTK's in the same machine in differents paths,
there is no need to delete the old one. I have a slow connection to the
net and i dont have time to upgrade gimp (12MB arround), if you're using a
gimp made for stable gtk i would not reccomend to remove it.

> The RH has GNOME .30 with an install script, but I have the Cheap Bytes
> version with the .99.1 version as well /sans an install script - and I
> figured to bypass having to install .30 and go straight to .99. The
> script is a little greek to me (primarily a user with very modest
> programming understanding - I prefer to install rpm binaries if at all
> possible, though typing make won't kill me :). Once I get the GTK/GLIB
> libs figured out and installed correctly on my system (which already has
> the gtk/glib 1.0 installed), then I can pester the GNOME listserv.... :)

I have redhat too, there is a huge difference between gnome 0.30 and the
newest version  0.99.*, try gnome 0.99.* you'll love it :o)

Serena Del Bianco

- The best tasks are the finalized ones -