glib & threading

Can someone please tell me what libraries I might need to enable posix
threading?
When I configure glib It identifies that im using posix threading and
then
says I'm missing libraries.
I've tried all possible thread implementations with no success.
I currently use glib/gtk 1.1.5 no problems and have had this problem
ever
since I tried to upgrade to 1.1.8 or higher.
I use a slackware box with libc5.
This isn't a glibc thing I hope??
Can anyone suggest what to install/upgrade to get posix or some other
thread implementation going to make glib and hence gtk 1.1.15 work.
I was going to attach the output of the relevant section of configure
but
as I'm new to this mail list and am unsure about volume, have kept this
as brief as possible.
TIA
gb