Re: Seeing "@@GLIBC_2.0" in libraries: how come?

Andrew Morton writes:
>Not a gtk problem, I know, but could someone please explain to me why
>the gtk+-1.1.13-1 rpm which I just pulled from
>ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/rawhide/1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/gtk+-1.1.13-1.i386.rpm
>has "@@GLIBC_2.0" appended to all its references into libc?  I haven't
>seen this before.

That's hardly related to gtk-list, but I'll give the short answer:
it's symbol versioning for improved backwards compatibility in glibc.
I suggest that if you use rawhide, you recompile the source rpms on
your system; rawhide is built against glibc 2.1, which means that you
can still run programs built against glibc 2.0 on it but programs
compiled for glibc 2.1 may or may not work with glibc 2.0, and from
a practical standpoing often don't work with glibc 2.0.

Further discussion of rawhide should go to redhat-devel-list as it
is really not relevant to this list, thanks.

michaelkjohnson

 Linux Application Development       http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad/