Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK 1.1.14 compile problems (Irix 6.3)

Erik Mouw wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Feb 1999 07:44:23 -0500, gtk-list@redhat.com (Owen Taylor) wrote:
> > Erik Mouw <J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl> writes:
> >> You are using SGI make, which does not understand some of the Makefile
> >> rules generated by the autoconf/automake/libtool combination. Try using
> >> GNU make. If you don't want to compile GNU make yourself, you can download
> >> a pre-compiled binary for IRIX 6.3 from my "GCC for IRIX" page:
> >> http://www-it.et.tudelft.nl/~erik/gcc
> >
> > If somebody wants to debug what SGI make doesn't understand,
> > that would be a positive step. The makefiles that "make dist"
> > makes are supposed to be non-gnu-specific.
>
> A couple of weeks ago I have heard rumours (on the egcs mailinglist, IIRC)
> that this will be fixed in a new version of autoconf. I just checked that
> there are new versions of both autoconf and automake, haven't tried them
> yet.
>
> I don't know which version you use for doing a "make dist", but my
> experience is that SGI make has problems with Makefiles generated with
> autoconf 2.12 and automake 1.3. The problem is in the line:
>
> DEPS_MAGIC := $(shell mkdir .deps > /dev/null 2>&1 || :)
>
> Which is generated by automake. As a workaround, you can use the
> "--include-deps" flag with automake. This will disable the automatic
> generation of dependencies in the .deps directories, which isn't useful
> anyway if you're just compiling GTK.

That didn't seem to work.  But what did seem to work was commenting out
the line which was reported as erroneous to begin with:

	gtk/Makefile:517
	$(static_sources): $(BUILT_SOURCES)

It should be static_SOURCES anyhow, no?  I tried correcting it as such,
but things seemed to go into an infinite loop when doing make install.

It appears as though I can use gtk-1.1.14 under Irix 6.3 now.  Yeehaw!

DT
--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music
Programmer / Analyst, Dean's Office (School of A&S)