Can't Run GTK--'s HelloWorld

I am new to gtk+, gtk--, and C++, so...

I installed gtk+ 1.1.13 with its rpm version on my linux,
everything works fine, I was able to play with the examples
in the tutorial.

Then I got the tarball of Gtk---0.11.1, and did the
configure/make/make install thing.  Everything seems to
work fine, no error reported during the process.

When I try the hello_world.cc in Gtk--'s tutorial,
I was able to compile and link, but when I run the
executable, I got this error msg:

hello: error in loading shared libraries
libgtkmm-1.1.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The libgtkmm-1.1.so.4 is a symbolic link to
libgtkmm-1.1.so.4.0.0

Where should I look for the problem?

Thanks a lot!

    Eddie