RE: [gtk-list] Re: create_menubar function

> "Rostedt, Steven" <steven.rostedt@lmco.com> writes:
> > I am now porting a Motif application over to GTK,
> > unfortunately I couldn't get GTK to compile on AIX 4.1, so
> > that version of my application has to stay in Motif.
> > But I'm trying to get my application to GTK for Solaris.
> >

> Fixing whatever is wrong with GTK on AIX is doubtless easier than
> maintaining two different versions of your app!

	Ok, This has been talked about quite a bit on this
	list from checking out the archives.
	I am able to get GTK and glib compiled on AIX 4.1, but
	it core dumps everytime I try to run something.  I spent
	a couple of days trying to figure out whats wrong,
	and I'm assuming that AIX 4.1 has bugs that are not
	compatible with GTK.  So, I gave up. If anyone has
	gotten GTK to compile on AIX 4.1, please let me know.

	I would upgrade to 4.3 (the current release) but I don't
	have the resouces (read money) to do so.

> > So now my problem. I need to make menu bars with accelerators,
> > and when I tried using the menu factory, it mistook a menu name
> > "Lock / Unlock" as another submenu.  Since this menu name is
> > a requirement, I need to keep it in.  So I went over to the "hard" way
> > of handling menus. Now I fought with accelerators and I'm still
> > finding bugs.
> >

> I thought "surely the item factory (use item factory, not menu
> factory) has a way to escape slashes" but looking at the code it
> appears that it doesn't. This should be reported as a bug at
> http://bugs.gnome.org IMO.

	You're right, I actually did use the item factory instead of the
	menu factory.  I copied code out of the tutorial.
	Yes it seems to be a bug.
	But there are other things I will need to do.  One is to be able
	to have each button send something different to a
	single callback. I don't see how to do that with the item factory.
	Also I thought it was nice (in my function) to send back the
	handles to the menuitems incase you need to do more.

	I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but I thought that the
	item factory was a little too limiting to work with.  Also
	it was very complicated to understand how it worked.
	(not how to use it, but how it actually worked).

> Havoc

	-- off topic -- BTW I just got your book (GTK+/Gnome
	  Application Development) Not too bad.  It definitly
	  a step in the right direction. Thanks, we need more
	  of this stuff -- keep up the good work.