Re: [gtk-list] Re: getpwuid_r() + x io error : What the ... ?

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Matt Gushee wrote:
+ Havoc Pennington writes:
+
+  > Matt Gushee <mgushee@havenrock.com> writes:
+  > >     GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to: No such user 500.
+  >
+  > Well, it looks like your user ID doesn't exist. I'm not sure how you
+  > managed that though. :-)
+
+ Yes, it *looks* that way. But it isn't true. I have verified that 500
+ certainly is my numerical uid.
+
+ Besides, I think the X io error is the critical one.

Well, yes, it is. But it's distinctly possible that the io error is caused
because of the uid error. If somehow the X client isn't getting your identity
right, the server would probably refuse to let you connect.

One workaround you might try is to give the command:
	xhost localhost

This will allow any client running on your local machine to connect without
regard to uid. It is a security breech, but if your not worried about malicious
hackers breaking in to your system, it's no big deal.

Hope that helps,

-M. D. Krauss