Re: [gtk-list] Re: Window manager window placement and X modifiers/states

Paul Barton-Davis <pbd@op.net> writes:
> it can have its strings replaced at any time, and should dynamically
> resize itself to display the longest one. right now, it fails
> miserably at this. just a bug ? maybe, but i see it as indicative of a
> more widespread design concept.

It's just a bug - it could queue a resize whenever you add new stuff
to the list. Option menus have a similar
bug. gtk_widget_queue_resize() should work, once the size request
method works right.

> "December". the filter could change at run time. so once again, you
> can't determine this at widget creation time - the programmer who sets
> the filter function would have to manually call the size function and
> that function may have to request an actual resize of the widget (can
> this be done ?)

Well, in this case the programmer has to set the size (since the
widget can't know what the filter function does), but when you set the
size the widget could queue a resize to ask for geometry
renegotiation.

> and growing of windows/widgets. however, this model doesn't work well
> when the size of a widget is critical for its operation, and it works
> even less well when this size may need to change during the course of
> the widget's lifetime.

I think the widgets are just broken. :-)

You do have a fundamental problem if a widget is going to be changing
sizes - interface elements "bouncing around." Here I guess you want to
be able to set a "default size" that approximates the maximum size
you're predicting.

Havoc