gtk installation

Hello,

I am a little bit new to Linux and would like to learn Linux programming.  I
have installed Red hat Linux 6.0 on my system.  I was wanting to use the GTK
development tools, so I installed the gtk+- package (version 1.2.1-10) and
the gtk+ package (also version 1.2.1-10).  I copied the code from the GTK
tutorial (on the gimp web site) and tried to compile, but it didn't work.

The following is the code:

#include <gtk/gtk.h>

int main(argc, char *argv[])
{
GtkWidget *window;
gtk_init(&argc, &argv);
window = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
gtk_widget_show(window);

gtk_main();
return(0);

}

Here is what happens when I try and compile (using the command given in the
gtk tutorial):

[garrett@localhost programming]$ gcc first_gtk.c -o first_gtk 'gtk-config
--cflags --libs'
In file included from /usr/include/gdk/gdktypes.h:33,
                 from /usr/include/gdk/gdk.h:31,
                 from /usr/include/gtk/gtk.h:31,
                 from first_gtk.c:1:
/usr/include/glib.h:66: glibconfig.h: No such file or directory
[garrett@localhost programming]$

when I used RPM to "query" the packages, I found that glibconfig.h belongs
to the glib-devel package (which I also have installed).  Does anyone know
what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Garrett.