Re: [gtk-list] Re: Need help in GTK-project

Rob Huffstedtler wrote:

> You really ought not to be having a lot of global variables lying around
> anyway.  That's poor practice in and of itself.  You are begging for
> namespace collisions.

Isn't it a good solution to make the portstatus variabele global so I
can set it with the callbackfuncions such as set_left_step() etc.. ?

> Much nicer to provide functions to access your
> data (and use some sensible naming convention).  Then you can use ctags

euh... maybe stupid question, but what are 'ctags'?

> to jump right to the function,

Are you suggestig here to make the portstatus variabele non-global and
try to set it using pointers?

> you don't have to worry about stomping on
> other variables, and you can completely change the implementation as
> long as you leave the interface the same.

Can't I make the portstatus variabele local in the main() program and
use some kind of setter functions to set its value, without the use of
pointers ?

Greetzzz
MC303

PS: program is on http://hello.to/MC303 --> 'Stepper Motor'