gtk_spin_button_get_value_as_float doesn't recognize typed-in vals

  double rawdepth;

rawdepth=gtk_spin_button_get_value_as_float(GTK_SPIN_BUTTON(depthspin));

  The above only returns the value in the spin button *if* the value was
set with the spin arrows.

   If the value was typed in by hand, gtk_spin_button_get_value_as_float
doesn't notice the change, but returns the previous value instead.

  I created the spin button itself with Glade...  I don't see anything
in the 'widget properties' box suggesting that typing is to be
ignored...

  John