Very Weird combo problem

I have run into the weirdest problem (maybe) with gtk 1.2.6.

I have a program that uses a GtkCombo as a part of a data entry window.
On one system, a stationary PC, the program runs well, but on another, a
laptop, one of the menu items a left blank.

The correct menu have the entries [ "", "René Seindal", "Valentina
Derito"], but on the laptop it is displayed ["", "", "Valentina
Derito"], in a way so I cannot select the second blank line, probably
because it is identical to the first line.

I have added debug output of the GList of strings, and it is correct
until after the call of gtk_combo_set_popdown_strings, so the data are
correct until they are submitted to gtk+.  This goes for both my
systems, yet the display is different.

The two systems have exactly the same libraries (I have checked it) and
I rdist my program executable between the machines.  All files are the
same, yet the programs behave differently.

Both systems are running Slackware 7, which installs gtk+ 1.2.6.  I
haven't installed gtk myself. The PC is a AMD 200MHz with 80Mb ram, the
laptop is an P100 with 40Mb ram.  The systems are installed from the
same cd-rom, made from a downloaded iso-image.

I have no idea whatsoever what can cause such behaviour! If somebody
have seen anything like it or have some ideas as to the source of my
trouble, I would be very happy.

--
René Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)			http://www.seindal.dk/rene/