Un-minimizing a window?

I've got a menu item that displays a particular window. When that window
hasn't yet been shown, gtk_widget_show() does the right thing. When the
window has been shown but is buried by other windows, gdk_window_raise()
does what I want. But if the window has been minimized by the user,
neither of these calls have any effect. I can sort of hack around it
with

    if (GTK_WIDGET_VISIBLE(window))
        gtk_widget_hide(window);

    gtk_widget_show(window);

but this is less than ideal: for example, it flickers if the window is
on screen, and it moves the window back to its default position (which I
could deal with separately, but never mind that).

Is there API lurking somewhere for un-minimizing a window? Or even to
test whether a window is minimized?

Please forgive me if this has been discussed already; I browsed through
this list's recent archives and found info about raise() but nothing
about un-minimizing.

Thanks,

John