Re: Registering Glade-Perl

Hi Andreas,

"Andreas J. Koenig" wrote:

>>> Does it have a name?  :-)
>> I call it Glade-Perl and I have just released Glade-Perl-0.3.7.tar.gz
>> It is made up of several modules called

>> Glade::PerlGenerate
>> Glade::PerlProject
>> Glade::PerlRun
>> Glade::PerlSource
>> Glade::PerlUI
>> Glade::PerlUIExtra
>> Glade::PerlXML

> Glade:: as root namespace is OK as long as it is a framework for
> several modules. I consider the "Perl" part a bit useless.
As you probably know, Glade is fairly language neutral. Currently it
recognises C, C++, Ada95 and Perl as target languages and I used the "Perl"
bit to allow some space for these and other tools or utilities.

I suppose that it is unlikely that anyone would want to generate source code
for other languages using a Perl module and I don't know whether it would be
feasible to generate other sorts of perl code (Qt or Tk bindings) from a
Glade file but libglade (AFAIK it dynamically constructs a UI from a Glade
file) is bound in the gnome.org CVS version of Perl/Gtk (module gnome-perl)
as Gtk::GladeXML

I guess that it would be silly to try and second-guess future developments
but I don't want to grab generic names like Glade::XML, Glade::Project or
Glade::Source now for my rather limited modules.

Thanks for your advice Andreas, I will CC this to the glade-list and
gtk-list and ask for comments before fix a name and commit anything to CPAN.

If anyone on the mailling lists has any theories I would appreciate any
comments before I do anything that I will come to regret :-)

Best regards, Dermot