Re: [gtk-list] Re: Porting a Motif app. to GTK

[...]
>> and container widgets in one kit won't hold
>> child widgets from the other.
>
>Really?  Hmmmm.  Somehow I would think that a good implementation of a
>given container would be such that it could contain *any* other widget,
>not just widgets of the same toolkit.  Perhaps my lack of toolkit
>(proper) design/developement experience is showing.

Motif uses the Xt object structure (as does Open Look and Athena), but GTK
uses its own system. Basically, it's like trying to fit a US mains plug into a
UK socket: the actual electricity's pretty much the same, but all the
protocols are wrong.

It should be possible to write a Motif widget that pretends to be a GTK
container, and vice versa, but it would probably be incredibly fiddly.
Extremely useful, though, for piecemeal porting of applications.

--
+- David Given ---------------McQ-+ "We must go out and utterly crush every
+- http://wired.st-and.ac.uk/~dg -+ paraphrased