Re: Porting a Motif app. to GTK

from the quill of Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> on scroll
<Pine.LNX.4.10.9908161132590.14761-100000@icon.labs.redhat.com>

> GTK was written to port the GIMP from Motif to GTK. So it has a
> certain
> amount of Motif similarity.

This is interesting.  I did not know this.

> Your main loops will collide,

Yes, I was wondering about how to combine both main loops.

> and container widgets in one kit won't hold
> child widgets from the other.

Really?  Hmmmm.  Somehow I would think that a good implementation of a
given container would be such that it could contain *any* other widget,
not just widgets of the same toolkit.  Perhaps my lack of toolkit
(proper) design/developement experience is showing.

> So no, I don't think this would work very
> well. I'd say you'll have to #if 0 or simply delete all the Motif code
> before you can compile the GTK version.

That will suck.  I was going to go through widget by widget converting.
But if this is the case, I think I will take the approach of starting
the gtk interface from scratch.

OK, any opinions on where the gtk/gnome GUI builder (the name is
escaping me right now) is worth it's while right now?  I just want to
cut out the grunt work of laying out, initializing and instantiating of
widgets.

> This is purely a matter of preference; try both, see which you like.

I figured as much.

Thanx for the insight.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell                              InterLinx Support Services, Inc.
North Vancouver, B.C.                                             604 983 UNIX