Looking for info on gtk_widget_unref semantics.

I've been poking around the gtk web site and in the docs for
information on when you're supposed to call gtk_widget_unref.  I want
to make sure I'm handling this right so I don't introduce memory
leaks, but so far I haven't found anything describing the rules.
Actually I'd like to know what the guidelines are for all the *_unref
functions...

As an example, if I create a widget, but then never use it (because
something else failed) do I need to unref it?  How about if I create a
widget, then put it in a vbox, do I need to unref it? etc.

I can determine some of the things that *aren't* OK by playing around
and watching the error spew, but that's not particularly helpful.

Thanks