Re: [gtk-list] Porting a Motif app. to GTK

"Brian J. Murrell" wrote:
>> I have a Motif app. (well it's not my app, it is a very decent GUI
>> mailer called Ishmail - http://www.ishmail.com/ that has gone
>> OpenSource) that I want to start converting to GTK.

>> If you were doing this, where would you start?

I would try to seperate the GUI parts from the non-toolkit specific
stuff.  After doing this, I would put the [old] GUI part to the side
and not look at it very much at all. Then I would run the orignal
program and use it to create the GTK+ (and GNOME, but that's just me)
interface as best I can without looking at the old GUI code.  Once
the interface is mostly or atleast partly recreated, I would
hook the non-toolkit specific stuff up to it.

Doing it this way makes sense to me, because I doubt all the functions
Motif and GTK+ have are 100% equivalent and if you try to directly
convert existing Motif code to GTK+, then it may not translate well.

P.S. These are just my thoughts, they probably aren't the best way.
--
Halfline