Help with gtk install

Trying to install gimp.
glib is installed in /usr/local/glib-1.2.3
When I try to install gtk ./configure in /usr/local/gtk-1.2.3 gives the
following error:
	Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
	The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
	the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong version.
	If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
	environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point to the installed
	location.
/etc/ld.so.conf contains the following line:
	/usr/local/glib-1.2.3/tests
I am a newbie and know nothing about LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
man LD_LIBRARY_PATH did nothing and the book I paid $35 for is usless.

Any help will be appreciated.
cedric@pacifier.com