Button and Window Questions

If you have a bunch of buttons, how do you specify which is the default
button - just like the "Log Out" window in GNOME?  I've had a look at
the button documentation (http://www.gtk.org/rdp/gtk/gtkbutton.html) and
couldn't really make much sense of it.  There's not much by the way of
"english" documentation there, either :-(

Also, how do you add the 3D-bevel effect like the GNOME "Log Out" window
as well?  I even downloaded the gnome-core-1.0.7 source and ran a grep
over the panel source directory and couldn't even find the string
"Really log out?" or "Ask next time" - hoping to find the code where the
window is created.  No such luck at all :-(  I also read the window
documentation (http://www.gtk.org/rdp/gtk/gtkwindow.html) and this was
about as useful as the button docs :-(

Please help!