Window managers

Hello everyone !

I am using wxGTK as well as GTK. My programs show, of course, some
text in the title bar of the top-level windows (aka caption in the
other windowing environment). These are, in fact, drawn by the
window managers.
Now, I had some problems with wxGTK in this area, so I did some
investigations in this direction.
My test results were:

wxGTK-2.1.0-b7 (Solaris-2.5.1) on top of GTK+-1.2.3 and GLib-1.2.3

afterstep:	All captions are OK
fvwm95:		All captions show "Untitled"
dtwm (CDE):	All captions show either
			"frame" (top-level window, wxFrame)
			"dialog" (GtkDialog, wxDialog) or
			"dialog" (GtkDialog, wxMessageBox)
		These are the internal names in wxWindows.

so far so bad :-)
In order to find the real source of the problem I did some
further tests with GTK (and Glib) alone.
Here are the results:

Pure GTK+-1.0.6 (incl. GLib-1.0.6)
----------------------------------

afterstep:	All captions are OK
fvwm95:		All captions are OK
dtwm:		All captions are OK

Pure GTK+-1.2.3 and GLib-1.2.3
------------------------------

afterstep:	All captions are OK
fvwm95:		All captions are "Untitled"
dtwm:		All captions are OK

Conclusions
-----------

1. Use afterstep because wxGTK and all versions of GTK work with it :-)
2. There may be a problem in GTK (difference between 1.0.6 and 1.2.3)
3. There may be a problem in wxGTK (other differences between the WMs
	than pure GTK)
4. May be a lot of problems in fvmw95 and or dtwm, too ?

I did take a look at the long list of changes on www.gtk.org between
1.0.6 and 1.2.3 but didn't find anything relevant to window managers.
I think this change was not mentioned in detail because there were
a lot of other important changes done.

Now my question is:

What to do now, apart from me fixing the problem ?
I know almost nothing about the communication between X-clients
and the window managers. So, if somebody can look into
it, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Norbert.

P.S. Afterstep is not really useable on an 8-bit visual. So using it
is not a real alternative for us. Although I like it.

--
Norbert Bladt		 Payphone Management System Software Development
ascom Autelca AG