can I draw on non GtkDrawingArea objects?

Hi,

I'm helping out on a Dylan UI toolkit (DUIM) that uses Gtk. I'm completely new
to Gtk so bear with me. Do I have to use a GtkDrawingArea object if I want to
do drawing or do other objects allow drawing too? The issue is that basic
repainting is a mixin class in DUIM so unless other types of object allow
redrawing I may need to aggregate multiple Gtk objects in order to implement
DUIM drawing on top of Gtk.

At the moment I can see that if I use a fixed container instead (to support
DUIM's notion of children) then the exposure events always seem to be 1x1
starting at 0,0. Instead, if I use a drawing area then some stuff seems to get
drawn. Is this a real limitation or do I just need to tweak the fixed
container somehow?

BTW I using Gtk on MS Windows if that makes a difference.

__Jason

PS The ordinary archive for this list seems to be off-line. Is there a mirror
for it?