Announce: Release of Scintilla 0.91 and Tide 0.91

Scintilla is a free source code editing component for Win32 and GTK+.
As well as features found in standard text editing components, Scintilla
includes features especially useful when editing and debugging source
code. These include support for syntax styling, error indicators, code
completion and call tips.

Styling choices are more open than with many editors, allowing the
use of proportional fonts, bold and italics, multiple foreground and
background colours and multiple fonts.

Tide is a Tiny Integrated Development Environment based upon
Scintilla. Originally built to demonstrate Scintilla, it has grown to be
a generally useful editor with facilities for building and running
programs.

This is a major release of Scintilla, containing GTK+/Linux support for
the first time. Most of the features of the Windows version are
working in the GTK+ version and I hope to achieve feature parity
soon.

Development of Scintilla started as an effort to improve the text editor
in the PythonWin development environment and it is now distributed
with PythonWin. During the period in which Scintilla was developed,
I've been moving more towards working on Linux and Solaris, and not
finding an editor I really liked, decided to port Scintilla and Tide. This
is
my first GTK+ program, and is likely to show some problems because
of my unfamiliarity with the environment, so I would like to hear about
any mistakes I have made. The source code is quite a mess at the
moment with many #ifdefs to choose between Windows and GTK+
code. Fixing this, by moving platform specfic code into platform
modules is currently the second most important development activity,
after bug fixing.

Web site: http://hare.net.au/~neilh/ScintillaTide.html

Scintilla and Tide come with complete C++ source code.
The license for using Scintilla and Tide is similar to that of Python
containing very few restrictions, and allowing use in any free project or
commercial product.

Neil Hodgson neilh@hare.net.au