Gtk-- versus GTK+

Hi,
I'm newbie and will learn to use Gtk-- or
gtk.
After some days of trying Gtk-- and GTK+
I have some basically questions:
My goal is to program some stuff for
sound - playing, like heartraining
        and  notation
my profession is music not programming
(but I have a lot of fun programming some things).
Ok,
I very confused in what should I preffer to use
 - Gtk--
 - GTK+
I preffer writing C++ - Code but some people say
its better using GTK+ instead Gtk++ and wrap the
code myself
They say:
- Gtk-- is oversized,
- Gtk-- is only a subset of GTK+
- Gtk-- is not documented( in fact  I can't find documentation for Gtk--)
  and,
  and, ...
- and "there is no standard"

but:
- GTK+ is very stabil
- GTK+ is very powerfull
- GTK+ is the best of all.

I have not the time to figure out in 1/2 - 1 year that Gtk--
is not the best choice,
please give me a Tip, and,
if possible,
a little code
who do I wrap GTK in C++ -Code ,
maybe the wonderfull "Hello world" program,
or a URL where i can download it,

thanks a lot,
excuse my little and very bad english

Wish You All The Best