[gtk-list] Re: changing a widget's background

Alan Shutko wrote:
> I'm not sure I agree.  Glade (imho) doesn't do a good job of managing
> it, but boxes are really just like rows or columns of a spreadsheet.
> (For example, I don't like how it will ask you how many things should
> be in a box.)  Just keep adding things into them, and they do the
> right thing.  Aloow the non-programmer to set some simple properties
> (like whether things expand or not) and you'll let them easily get
> good results considerably easier than any fixed gui-builder.

 Yep ! For those who had an Amiga, there was a great toolkit
 called MUI (http://www.sasg.com/mui). The layout was only based
 on horizontal and vertical boxes (possibly with multiple columns
 and lines). It made interface design really easy and pleasant IMHO.
 There was a little builder (MUIBuilder 2, by Eric Totel) in which you
 could (if I remember) add a new widget to the currently selected box,
 or play with the listtree representation of the widgets to reparent
 a widget. Later you could refine the boxes and widgets properties
 etc ... I'm a bit nostalgic :) (and BOOPSI, the object oriented
 system MUI was based on, was nice too, though there was a problem
 of unique identifier for public classes that gtk hasn't)

 I can't think of fixed layout, and specifying the item numbers of
 a box before adding items seems unpleasant.

 Much noise, sorry, but the heart speaks :)

--
David Le Corfec, <lecorfec@etudiant.univ-mlv.fr>