How to trigger configure event in animation

Hello,

I've written an image viewer with animation capabilities
(paul at http://www.physik.uni-halle.de/~e2od5/paul.html).
It worked well under GTK+1.0.? but since I switched to
1.[12]-series I have a problem with different sized images.
My expectation is, that the configure event is triggered at the
wrong time, but I don't know how to do it right.

To make clear what I mean I stripped the source down to the
very basic part which performs image animation.  It is
appended to this letter in a small tgz archive with C-source
and Makefile.  `make` will lead to an executable named paul
which takes at least two images (in any image format which
ImLib is able to load).  Calling

   paul -w<sek> img1 img2

you can define an animation speed in seconds.  (Note: different
sized images need a time of sek >= 0.4!)  The animation time
parameter can be changed in the menue.

The problem:  When browsing through the images by clicking the
filenames the images are displayed correctly.  But while the
animation runs the first image is rendered to the size of the
second and the second to the size of the first.  As I said I
expect that the configure event is called at the wrong time,
but I havn't any clue how to do it right.  Could anybody of
you gurus have a look at the source which should be as small
as possible to save your time.

Thanks

         Andreas.

animation.tgz