Re: [gtk-list] Re: website

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:11:58 +0200, Roland Bock <rbock@eudoxos.de> wrote:

> Hi!
> It looks nice, but I do not like it, because it takes too much time for
> the page to load.
> All text and images have to be loaded completly before anything is
> displayed. This is because everything is in one big table. That is bad
> HTML design in my opinion, especially for the first page of a site.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Roland Bock

Yep, I'm afraid he's right - from this side of the Atlantic it's too slow.
(Notice that Roland, like me, is in Europe.) But it's nice to see a page
where it's the text is the bulk of the size and the graphics are nice and
small.

I would guess that all that would need to be done would be to specify the
table geometry at the top to allow the browser to display as it goes rather
than having to download the whole page. Either that or make the Freshmeat
stuff a separate page. That's just a small tweak.

Good things about the page (IMHO):

* Good list of GTK links in the left hand margin. easy to find stuff.

* The Freshmeat info is interesting, good marketing and even useful!

* Refers to the ftp mirror sites.

Two other thoughts: first, the old page told you the current version
(1.2.2), the current page just refers to 1.2 or 1.2.x.

Second, how about a European mirror (and maybe Asian too - I know less
about that) sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk mirrors a *large* amount of free sw,
including ftp.gnome.org www.xfree86.org, www.apache.org, etc. Could they
mirror both the ftp and www pages? That would make life a lot better.

Thanks for all the good work.

John