:gtk design question (events vs signals)

I was hoping someone could settle a nagging question I have about the design
of GTK+, specifically, the distinction between signals and events, which I
find unclean.  Now, apparently, GTK+ inherits its event model from GDK which
in turn inherits it from low level X toolkits like Xt Intrinsics via Xlib, but
my question is: is there any technical reason for retaining this separation,
including separate handling models and structs, apart from historical reasons
and implementation convenience?  If GTK could have had the the benefit of a
"clean" redesign from the ground up, would everything be a signal, or am I
missing some reason why the two models are separate?  For example, should I
think of events as "lower level" signals?

--
Jason Stokes: jstok@bluedog.apana.org.au