Re: [gtk-list] Re: IRIX prob; get/change menu item label prob

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Erik Mouw wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:22:54 -0400, gtk-list@redhat.com (Owen Taylor) wrote:
> >
> > Erik Mouw <J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl> writes:
> >
> >> You're using SGI make instead of GNU make. Vendor supplied make utilities
> >> can be brain damaged in many funny ways.
> >
> > Yeah, but we try to support them anyways.
>
> Good idea, but in my opinion it's a waste of time to solve the non-GNU
> make problem in the GTK+ project. It should be solved in the automake
> package, but I doubt it really will. There are some features in automake
> that some vendor supplied make utilities don't have, like the VPATH
> feature (do the makefiles in GLIB/GTK support this?). In the mean time, we
> can just tell people to use GNU make.

you can't really get complex packages, i.e. with different source
directories, generated sources and included dependancies, to build without
VPATH. thus, make with srcdir!=builddir or make distcheck depend
on VPATH out of the automake box. no way for gtk to get around that.

> Erik

---
ciaoTJ