Design question

Hi everyone,

I have a design question for you. I intend to write an
application where the user has a image background and on
top of that background I want to put interactive drawing objects,
such as splines, lines and rectangles.

What's the way to this? I played with GtkImage and putting
images/pixmaps on top of an image but it feels clumsy and slow
(or I might be doing somehing wrong). I want it to be fast and
smooth when, for example, editing a spline.

Has anybody sone anything similar or even a widget(-set) that
could be used as a base?

	Big thanks in advance // Bjoern