Finding tree selection coordinates in scrolled window

I have a tree widget, inside of a scrolled window, whose child nodes I select
programmatically. In order to ensure the selected child node is currently
visible in the scrolled window, I believe I need to know its relative pixel
offset in order to set the value of the scrolled window's vadjustment, which
uses pixels for units. Am I correct in thinking this? Or is there a better
way? How do I extract this info? I'm stumped.

Also, I notice the text widget in 1.2.x now takes significantly longer to load
long strings with gtk_text_insert(). In 1.0.x, I used to be able to pass large
strings (Usenet messages with complete encoded attachments: 100-200k) to this
function, and the widget loaded immediately. It takes many seconds to do so
now. Again, I wonder if there is a workaround, or a more efficient function I
haven't stumbled across yet.

thanks,

--
James Bailie